Sunday, July 20, 2008

Hilton Portland - My default hotel

When I need to stay in downtown Portland on the cheap I go to Priceline and bid on a 3 star hotel. I have yet to get anywhere but the Hilton. Usually hovering somewhere around $110 a night, this weekend I hit the jackpot and got it for $64 (going rate was $149 at the hotel).


In the five times I've stayed here, this was the first time they accomodated my request for a room with a king bed. So those are the pics you see.


Room sizes completely vary, this king room was the smallest room I've been in, I've also had corner doubles that were enormous and a couple other doubles that were average size and a very small double. So if you get a room that is small and you are staying with someone, you might want to try asking if they have another room available.


The beds aren't super comfy like some of the other Hiltons I've stayed at, but also not uncomfortable by any means. I chalk it up to the older status of the hotel.


It is an older hotel, decor wise, but very centrally located and I can walk anywhere downtown or in the Pearl relatively quickly. There is a Max station located a couple blocks down in Pioneer Square and the Streetcar runs a few blocks over on 10th. Shopping galore is also a couple blocks away, Nordstrom, a huge Banana Republic and also the mall.


It is also generally a very busy hotel! This is the one time I've checked in and not come across large groups of people and parties in the lobby.


There is a fitness center, which they charge $10 a day to use, and internet is also at a charge, like all other Hiltons. Parking is $25 a day, but there is a lot across 6th Street that charges $15 for overnight parking if you just need a place to stash the car while you sleep.


Another odd thing I came across charge-wise, I left my rings in the bathroom and realized it when it was too late to turn around and go back. I called and security confirmed they were in the bathroom. They offered to mail it back to me, but would need a credit card to charge it to. Otherwise they will hold on to them for 60 days. I didn't understand why they wouldn't just mail them to me in an envelope and not charge me, but it just seemed part of the small fees for everything nature of the chain.


I've eaten at the 921 Bistro a few times, and it is reasonably priced and the food is fairly good. Great if you get in late at night and just want a quick bite to eat before bed. But if you have time and want really good food you are just a walk from tons of restaurants. For breakfast it's good if you want a quick bite before a meeting, but if you have time you need to go to Mother's instead.


Overall, it's a good bargain if you are in town and need a centrally located place to stay.

No comments: